Caffeine overdose


Caffeine-test error Northumbria University in Newcastle, UK, was fined £400,000 (US$500,000) on 25 January, after a botched experiment with caffeine put two students in a life-threatening condition. The students had volunteered to take part in a study to measure the effect of caffeine on exercise performance in 2015. But a calculation error on a mobile phone meant that, instead of 0.3 grams, they were given 30 grams — equivalent to 300 cups of coffee. A dose of 18 grams can be lethal, a court heard. Both students have reportedly made a full physical recovery.